Friday, July 8, 2011

UFO Progress and Plans

First,

Where I’ve been:


This week not much sewing going on, UFO or otherwise. I’ve been hand quilting my Bliss Quilt. I did not think I would like hand quilting. It always seemed to me that it would be soooo boring. And why do something by hand that could easily (and much better) be done by machine? Surprise! Hand quilting is the MOST fun! It’s so relaxing and zen. Forget needle turn appliqué and hand-stitched binding. Those seem like chores compared to hand quilting. I really like the look of it too. Like it’s been stitched with lots of love.


At first I was just going to do the flower design by hand. Then I finished that and couldn’t stop! I decided to outline quilt inside the star. I thought it would make the star design stand out more. But I was worried it might make the quilting crowded and over-done. I was so wrong! I love how it looks.


I’m linking up with Susan at Blackberry Creek Home Arts. She’s been cracking the quilty whip on us to get our UFOs done. Thanks Susan! You’re awesome and inspiring!

Second,

Where I’m going:


This weekend I have some planned sewing time. First up will be my Rehab quilt. I searched every nook and cranny of my sewing room last night for my missing thread. I even dragged my husband from his video game and he helped. I blamed the cats, I found my little brother’s allergy medicine he lost 3 months ago, pulled the cushions from the couch and even had my husband look under the bed in our bedroom (blaming the cats again). Finally found it. In a drawer. Under my sewing machine. So I’m all set to FMQ to my heart’s content.


This is my before picture. I know, there’s not much to see. It’s hard to photograph. But I plan on completing 20 feather sprays this weekend. I think that’s doable. I can’t believe how huge this quilt is. It’s a monster.


I'm linking up with Thearica from Pigtales and Quilts. The idea is to work on your UFO this weekend and write a Before and After post. Thearica will be drawing prizes and you get some work done on some old UFO's. It's a win/win, so come by and hang out!

7 comments:

  1. What love embroidery/quilting your doing on your Bliss quilt... and I love that friendship star quilt... sooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful stitching! I haven't tried hand quilting yet. Thanks for the testimonial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also recently discovered the joys of hand stitching! Your flower design is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Bliss quilt is beautiful. Glad that you're enjoying hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire you for being able to hand quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Quilt! What is the block or pattern name for your rehab quilt? or did you design that yourself? I would love to know as it is awesome and has a 3-d effect... I just love it!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blog you have thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me know you were here! Comments mean so much to me. Have a fantastic day!