Today I present my Finished Rehab quilt!Like I mentioned in my video this week, I started this quilt about 3 or 4 years ago for a friend who was going to Rehab. I thought I would be able to complete it in a week. Ha! Being the new quilter I was, I had to sew, unpick, and re-sew these blocks a few hundred times. They turned out completely wonky. But I preserved and sewed them into rows!
It's a queen-sized top with a little drape over the sides. This quilt quickly grew too big and I was worried about quilting it with my domestic. So I took one row off the top and pieced it into the back. Then I quilted it on my Bernina. Yes, I quilted this entire quilt on my domestic. Dedication!
I made the binding from leftover red and orange fabric and then hand stitched it to the back.
I quilted it in black, gray, orange, and red thread.
This was the same quilt top that had soy sauce spilled on it. I don't know how that happened, but it was during our move to California last year. The quilt was folded, and the soy sauce leaked through each layer. I soaked it in vinegar, then hand washed it several times to get the smell of vinegar out. It dried in our shower and leaked red and orange dye all over the tub. What a nighmare!
The pattern is Wandering Star from Quilter's Cache. I thought that was fitting. A friendship star for a friend who momentarily lost his way. All fabric came from JoAnn's. This was before I knew about quality fabric!
I'm so happy that this humongous quilt is finally finished. What a crazy undertaking. I lost touch with my friend when we both lost our jobs (we worked together), both moved, and I got married. I did find him on Facebook last night though.
I don't know what I'm doing with the quilt yet. For now, I'm enjoying it on our bed in its Finished State. I'm feeling proud of myself for finishing the Beast!
Check out other UFO updates at Barbara's blog: Blackberry Creek Home Arts.