Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Burning Man Costumes

Okay, so I've finally got to the point where I'm just hand-sewing the binding down on my Love Quilt. This is the first time I've hand-stitched binding (remember, this is only the second project I've ever finished). I had to google "Ladder Stitch" and watch the videos about twenty times, but now I'm an old pro.



But don't think my sewing machine has been sitting idle! I am now frantically trying to complete all my Burning Man costumes. Which, granted, should have been completed a few months ago, like right after I started them. But hey, sometimes you need a deadline to get stuff done! I bought a ton of this awesome fake fur to make a hundred and one costumes with, and finally finished a vest for my handsome man. I guess those other hundred costumes will just come next year!



Disclaimer: I make quilts, not clothes! I have never made a piece of clothing before (except for my 4H vest in elementary school, but that was a Mom-made piece, if you know what I mean ;) ). I sewed an armhole shut. I literally put the vest on my fiance and cut off pieces that were dangling for no apparent reason. One front side was longer than the other sides. The fur in front is headed north while the fur in back is headed south. It's three sizes too big for him. I love it!

Next up I hemmed my white furry knee-highs. I will be wearing these when we get married on September 2nd. I bought these at a store in Las Vegas, but didn't like the fact that they were so long I walked on them and got the bottoms dirty. I really hate that. So I shortened and hemmed them. I did a horrible job, so don't look too close!



Lastly, I fixed my other pair of knee-highs. A few months ago I took an old pancho of mine that I loved but had never worn and turned it into these sweet leg-warmers. I tested them at a Burning Man Art Show in Las Vegas and one would just not stay up. Just a small fix! I really liked the way these turned out, though.




So that's what I've been up to. How about you?!

1 comment:

  1. Jen, thank you for popping by my blog and leaving a nice comment about the poem. I am enjoying looking over your blog. And those leg warmers...........now they are something else!!! Takes me back to the 70's when there were some strange combinations of colours in leg warmers! Yours are fun and hip!! Catch up with you soon.
    Love, Kate

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me know you were here! Comments mean so much to me. Have a fantastic day!